Prisoner Transfer Agreements (PTAs) allow British prisoners to serve the remaining part of their sentence in the UK. Not all countries have PTAs in place but see our separate factsheet for more information on how this process works. Remember that your relative will only be able to apply to transfer to a UK prison once their sentence is final, and there are no appeals or fines outstanding. 

As at July 2021 we would strongly advise emailing the cross-border transfer section of HM Prison & Probation Service in the UK, rather than writing in the post. You can also send your letter to Prisoners Abroad and we can email it on to them.

You can also see the British government's guidance on transfer here