If you are claiming benefits you will need to complete what is called a Habitual Residency Test (HRT); this is a test to assess whether you normally live in the UK. The HRT was introduced by the government in 1994 to try and stop benefit tourism (EU citizens living temporarily in one EU country and claiming benefits before moving on to another country.)

If you are a deported person you will usually pass the test. You therefore need to provide evidence of having been deported. If you fail the HRT test you will not be eligible for any government assistance until a period of residence has been established (usually 6 months).